“Graduating good global citizens” is one of Georgia Tech’s stated strategic goals, yet nowhere is the concept defined, nor the expectations articulated about what constitutes “good global citizenship” or how it might be attained or assessed. Thus, one key aim and concrete learning outcome of the LLC is to define collectively what it can and should mean to individuals in the Georgia Tech community. The fall Global Leadership course explores the meaning of global citizenship as it has evolved conceptually in scholarly and public debates and how it is “practiced” by individuals and “institutionalized” by universities, corporations and other organizations that deploy the concept as a strategic goal or a set of value commitments.
GLLLC students will have many opportunities throughout the year to propose, experience, and lead innovative activities that apply intercultural learning concepts to help them understand the meaning and practice of global citizenship. The Office of International Education also has staff trained to facilitate intercultural activities that promote effective communication and collaboration among people from different cultures (and that’s most of us since culture is a vast concept that includes much more than one’s national culture). Knowing key concepts of intercultural communication and participating in active learning can help develop intercultural competence.
Below is a bulleted list of ideas for Intercultural Training, Activities, and/or simulations that may be done in the GLLLC during the retreats, class, and/or evening activities.
- Redundancia, an Intercultural Simulation
- Intercultural Friendships, a facilitated Reflection Activity
- Strange Situations, an intercultural simulation activity
- Cultural Transitions Presentation: video & facilitated group discussion
- Culture Map & Associated Discussion
- Intercultural Communication in Practice: Pacing & Conversations Across Culture
- Visual Icebreaker for Community Building and Introduction to Intercultural Communication
- Puzzling Intercultural Stories
- Cultural Value Dimensions: Round Robin Exercise
- Global Communities Service Trip: Global Growers
- Clue town Activity & Scavenger Hunt